From serving as a peaceful getaway, a must-see hot spot, to a family pit-stop, General San Martín Park has a little of everything for everyone!
The park was designed by Carlos (Charles) Thays in 1897, who also designed Parque Sarmiento in Córdoba. Located in the heart of Mendoza, Argentina, Parque General San Martín (General San Martin Park) is a beautiful public park that spans around 420 hectares. The park can be thought of as a historical and popular destination for locals and tourists, offering a wide range of activities and attractions. In this blog, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide to maximize your enjoyment while visiting the park.
Best Time to Visit
The prime time to explore Parque San Martín falls within the spring and autumn months when the weather is delightful and moderate. Conversely, the summer months prove less desirable due to high humidity and crowds, particularly on weekends. Similarly, the winter months pose challenges. However, it’s worth noting that the park welcomes visitors throughout the year. With a strategic approach, you can make the most of your visit regardless of the season.
On Getting There
Situated right in the heart of Mendoza, the park boasts a myriad of transportation options for easy access. You can effortlessly reach it on foot, by bus, or by taxi. If you’re arriving from outside the city, numerous bus lines conveniently stop near the park. Opting for bus #130 is highly recommended, as it will drop you off directly in front of the park’s iconic gate. Cycling enthusiasts will be delighted to know that the park is bike-friendly, with several rental shops in the vicinity offering a fantastic aerobic means of transportation. Upon arrival, make sure to swing by the information center located just inside the grand gates to grab a map of the park.
Things to Do/Places to See
- Explore the park’s walking trails: The park is home to a variety of gardens, lakes, and monuments, making it the perfect place to take a leisurely stroll. You can explore the park on foot, or bike.
- Visit Cerro de la Gloria: Cerro de la Gloria is a hill located in the park that offers stunning views of the city and the Andes Mountains. You can climb to the top of the hill, to see the monument to San Martín’s Ejército de los Andes (Army of the Andes, commemorating the liberation of Chile and Peru in the 19th century). On clear days, the view from the hill will make the climb feel totally worth it! In some ways, the park can also be considered a historical commemoration site.
- Relax in the Gardens: The park is home to several beautiful gardens, including the Rose Garden. You can relax and have a picnic in the gardens and enjoy the park’s natural beauty.
- Visit the weekend market: They sell food, drinks, crafts, clothes, antiques, jewelry, paintings, and plenty of handmade & locally-crafted goods at a reasonable price.
- Enroll in Club Mendoza de Regatas: With a monthly fee of around 17 – 20 USD per person, it offers a range of activities and facilities for its members such as gym & fitness, rowing, dining & relaxation and more can be found here.
Parque San Martin is a must-see when it comes to sights & activities. Whether you’re exploring the gardens, or hiking Cerro de la Gloria, you’ll never run out of things to do in this beautiful park. We hope with this guide, you can plan your trip make the most of your time in the park and make tons of memories!
Experience Argentina’s pride & joy — its grape-harvesting festival like no other. In Argentina, the…
French & an amalgam of other cultures in Argentina; a fun way to learn languages…
Want a good run for your money when exchanging currencies in Argentina? Their Blue Rate…
Looking to explore the ‘Land of Silver’? Well then, here are just a few suggestions…
Introduction Step into the world of Bodegas López Mendoza, where a passion for winemaking has…
So, you’ve made the bold choice of living in a different country? You adventurous, daring…